A Singapore Government Agency Website 

avatar8 in

What can I do if I am / my company is accused of infringing copyright?



If you received a letter accusing you or your company of infringing another party?s copyright, you should seek legal advice on the merits of the claim and what options are available to you to defend against the claim.

IPOS conducts complimentary IP Legal Clinics that provides Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents and Singapore registered businesses with access to a selected panel of professional lawyers.

The 45-minute consultation session allows you to seek preliminary advice on IP infringement before you decide on a course of action. You may find out more and register for an IP Clinic session here.

As a practical point, you should get as many facts about the claim of infringement as possible so that your legal advisor can properly advise you.  Going to court is not the only way to deal with an accusation of infringement. For example, in cases of unintentional infringement, both parties may be more willing and find it more cost- and time-effective to negotiate a private settlement out of court.

They may also wish to rope in a mediator in their talks. Mediation services are provided by the Singapore Mediation Centre. For more information, please visit the Singapore Mediation Centre website.

Let other citizens know if this answer was helpful
Did this answer your question?

Can’t find what you’re looking for?