A Singapore Government Agency Website 

Can the pool of assessors for CareShield Life/ElderShield be expanded to include any Singapore-registered doctor, therapist or nurse?



CareShield Life/ElderShield insureds who have developed severe disability and wish to apply for claims will need to undergo a severe disability assessment by a MOH-accredited severe disability assessor.

A trained, accredited severe disability assessor will be able to assess whether the applicant meets the CareShield Life/ElderShield criteria of being unable to perform three or more of the six Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). We have expanded the list of accredited assessors to include therapists and nurses who have been trained.

All MOH-accredited assessors have undergone a rigorous training programme to learn how to assess a patient’s level of disability. Through the training, assessors are equipped to assess an individual’s ability to perform the six ADLs, including specific components of each ADL to take into account, what factors to consider when an individual is cognitively impaired, and what should be done if any individual’s functional ability fluctuates over time. As this is a complex process, the training and accreditation is necessary to ensure that disability assessments are conducted with a high degree of rigour and consistency.

The Government is also looking into recognising equivalent assessments that have been performed by a qualified healthcare professional (doctor, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, and registered nurses) providing care to the patient. In such cases, the patient need not undergo a separate severe disability assessment. Today, those who are staying in a nursing home can already approach their nursing home for assistance to submit the Resident's Assessment Form in place of the severe disability assessment.

MOH and AIC will progressively roll out the use of such equivalent assessments and will make the information available via MOH and AIC website.

This information provided here is sourced from the MOH website.

Let other citizens know if this answer was helpful
Did this answer your question?

Can’t find what you’re looking for?