A Singapore Government Agency Website 

How was I identified to pay my family member's MediShield Life premiums? On what authority does the Board automatically deduct my MediSave to pay for my family member’s MediShield Life premiums? Can I stop this payment arrangement?



You have been identified as the premium payer as you are the insured’s family member and have previously used your MediSave to pay the insured’s medical expenses or other health insurance premiums.

The Government has put in place this option to encourage family responsibility by notifying family members that they can use their MediSave to help a family member who has insufficient MediSave to pay MediShield Life premium. The intent was to make it convenient for the majority of members who wish to help their family members pay the premiums.

This process to facilitate the payment of an insured family member’s MediShield Life premium is authorised under regulation 10(7)(b) of the MediShield Life Regulations 2015.

Family members identified as potential payers have about one month to consider whether to proceed with this payment arrangement, before premium deduction takes place. To date, majority of family members approached have continued with this arrangement. By enabling this arrangement, it is more convenient for the vast majority and yet allow for the small number of individuals who disagree to stop premium payment.

You may stop this payment arrangement by completing the “Stop Premium Payment for Dependant(s)’ MediShield Life Cover” form (or access the form via medishieldlife.sg/eservices) or call us at 1800-222-3399. Once you have indicated your intent, future MediShield Life premiums for the insured family member will not be deducted from your MediSave Account.

Should you subsequently change your mind and wish to take over paying the insured’s premiums after all, you will need to submit a "Change of Payer for MediShield Life Cover" application (or access the form via medishieldlife.sg/eservices).

This information provided here is sourced from the MOH website.

Let other citizens know if this answer was helpful
Did this answer your question?

Can’t find what you’re looking for?